Fiestas/ Folk Festivals

Fiestas en Garachico

Como todos los municipios de la isla, Garachico también celebra fiestas comunes como Carnavales, Semana Santa, Fiestas del Carmen, Navidad (con el famoso concierto de Año Nuevo)… y otras propias.

En esta ocasión queremos hablar de las fiestas propias del municipio, que para muchos ya son conocidas y para otros no tanto.

Aunque la pandemia a hecho mella en todos y las celebraciones desde 2020 han sido modificadas y adaptadas a los tiempos que corren, queremos y deseamos volver a la tan ansiada normalidad y que nuestro calendario festivo siga siendo el que era.

Fiestas Patronales de Santa Ana y San Roque

Garachico tiene 2 patrones, Santa Ana el 26 de Julio y San Roque 16 de agosto. Las fiestas patronales se celebran entre los meses de Julio y Agosto, teniendo varios eventos a lo largos de estos dos meses: Artesanía, Romeria Chica, Romeria de San Roque (publicamos ya en un post anterior las de este año 2022), Elección de la Romera Mayor, Baile de Magos…. eventos tradicionales unidos a otros más actuales.

Fiestas Lustrales del Santísimo Cristo de la Misericordia

Estas fiestas se celebran en julio de los años terminados en 0 y 5, con dos actos fuertes: las carrozas y los Fuegos del Risco (rememora la erupción historica de 1706).

Ya a lo largo del año, quitando las fiestas ya mencionadas al comienzo de la publicación, tienen lugar las fiestas de los núcleos de Garachico:

La Caleta de Interían, Las Cruces, Genovés, El Guincho, La Montañeta, San Juan del Reparo y San Pedro de Daute

Al igual que una serie de eventos, que normalmente tenían su fecha inamovible en el año, pero que algunos han ido variando y se han adaptado a las necesidades actuales como son:

Ficmec: https://ficmec.es/

Jaleo Fest

Hipócritas

Circundando

Cuadernos Escénicos: http://cuadernosescenicos.com/

Caprichos musicales: http://caprichosmusicales.info/

Se puede decir, que Garachico es un pequeño municipio que sigue apostando por el arte.

Para más información también pueden visitar Área de Garachico: https://areagarachico.com/

P.D: esta publicación quedó más cuadrada que la anterior.

Folk Festivals

Like all the municipalities on the island, Garachico also celebrates common festivals such as Carnival, Easter, Fiestas del Carmen, Christmas (with the famous New Year’s concert)… and others that are typical of the municipality

On this occasion we want to talk about the festivities of the municipality, which for many are already known and for others not so much.

Although the pandemic has taken its toll on everyone and the celebrations since 2020 have been modified and adapted to current times, we want and wish to return to the long-awaited normality and that our festive calendar continues to be what it was.

Fiestas Patronales de Santa Ana y San Roque

Garachico has 2 patrons, Santa Ana on July 26 and San Roque on August 16. The patron saint festivities are celebrated between the months of July and August, having several events throughout these two months: Crafts, Pilgrimage Chica, Pilgrimage of San Roque (we already published in a previous post those of this year 2022), Election of the Romera Mayor, Baile de Magos… traditional events combined with more current ones.

Fiestas Lustrales del Santísimo Cristo de la Misericordia

These festivities are celebrated in July of the years ending in 0 and 5, with two strong acts: the floats and the Fuegos del Risco (recalls the historic eruption of 1706).


Throughout the year, removing the festivals already mentioned at the beginning of the publication, there are some smalls festivals around the municipality:

La Caleta de Interían, Las Cruces, Genovés, El Guincho, La Montañeta, San Juan del Reparo y San Pedro de Daute

Like a series of events, which normally had their fixed date in the year, but some have varied and have been adapted to current needs, such as:

Ficmec: https://ficmec.es/

Jaleo Fest

Circundando

Hipócritas

Cuadernos Escénicos: http://cuadernosescenicos.com/

Caprichos musicales: http://caprichosmusicales.info/

It can be said that Garachico is a small municipality that continues to bet on art.

For more information you can also visit the Garachico Area: https://areagarachico.com/

P.S: this publication was squarer than the previous one.

Garachico

¿Qué ver en Garachico?

Garachico cuenta con varias zonas de Interés como pueden ser miradores; monumentos; arquitectura religiosa, militar y civil; museos, espacios naturales…

Pero en esta publicación nos vamos a centrar en que ver en el casco, algunos de las edificaciones mas representativas.

Lo mejor, es que con salir por la puerta del hotel, ya nos encontramos rodeados de arquitectura canaria.

Antiguo Convento San Francisco: conjunto arquitectónico de comienzos de 1.524. Edificio de doble planta, con dos amplios claustros construidos con madera de tea. Destaca la amplia escalera de piedra que cubre con un rico artesonado de raigambre mudéjar.

Está situado entre la Iglesia Nuestra Señora de los Ángeles y el Ayuntamiento.

Plaza de la Libertad: Fue primeramente Plaza de Santa Ana y estaba adosada a su iglesia. Después del volcán se trazó una calle entre ambas y se transformó en plaza. Ocurría esto en 1821. En 1912  se hacen remodelaciones y se construye el kiosco.

Casa Condes de La Gomera: También conocida como la Casa de Piedra, destaca por su fachada de cantería. Fue construida por encargo entre los siglos XVI y XVII, aunque tuvo que ser restaurada tras la erupción volcánica de 1706.

Iglesia Santa Ana: Esta iglesia matriz constituye uno de los más bellos y ricos templos del norte de Tenerife. La construcción había comenzado ya en 1.532 y en 1.542 había finalizado. La erupción volcánica de 1.706 destruyó gran parte de su fábrica, siendo reconstruida posteriormente.

Antiguo Puerto: Esta construcción, posterior a la erupción de 1706, conserva el primigenio pavimento adoquinado, así como una profusa mampostería de piedra basáltica. Destaca, sobremanera, la escultura Tensei Tenmoku ubicada al final del dique. En sus proximidades se encuentran aún los viejos almacenes de la empaquetadora de plátanos con el antiguo pescante para el embarque de la fruta.

Castillo San Miguel: La construcción de este Castillo data de 1.575, custodiando el puerto más importante de Tenerife.  Es el superviviente más famoso de la erupción volcánica, pero tras la destrucción del puerto, perdió su utilidad.

Casa Marqueses Quinta Roja: Sus orígenes datan de finales del siglo XVI, pero fue afectada en su totalidad por la erupción volcánica de 1.706, siendo edificada posteriormente respetándose el plano original.

Ex Convento Santo Domingo: Los primeros frailes dominicos llegaron a este lugar hacia 1.588.  Antes de mediar el siglo XVII el convento ya había alcanzado las actuales dimensiones. El convento escapó de la erupción volcánica de 1.706. , Hoy alberga el Hospital Residencia de Ancianos Nuestra Señora de la Concepción, el Auditorio Municipal con capacidad para 300 personas y, el Museo de Arte Contemporáneo, donde se encuentra una exposición permanente.

Convento Franciscanas: Este convento, habitado por religiosas de clausura de la Orden de San Francisco de Asís, está situado en la calle Esteban de Ponte. Su primitiva construcción data de mediados del siglo XVII. Hoy en día sigue teniendo su función.

Iglesia Nuestra Señora de los Ángeles: La Iglesia y el Antiguo Convento de San Francisco de Asís es un conjunto arquitectónico que tuvo sus comienzos en 1.524.

Casa Ponte: Este palacete fue propiedad de la familia Ponte, fundadora de Garachico, y data del siglo XVIII. Se construyó sobre el solar que ocupaba una antigua casa familiar destruida tras un incendio, aunque actualmente se ha rehabilitado como hotel.

Ex Convento San Agustín: Los primeros frailes dominicos llegaron a este lugar hacia 1.588, instalándose en San Pedro de Daute donde fundan convento. Hoy en día es un lugar para exposición.

La Puerta de Tierra: Se trata de un frondoso parque con especies exóticas que ha convertido este recoleto rincón de Garachico, en uno de los más pintorescos de la Villa.

Casa El Molino: Lugar en el que se encuentra una pequeña y modesta edificación, único vestigio de un conjunto de molinos harineros, desaparecidos a lo largo del siglo XIX.

Ermita San Roque: Construida por los propios vecinos de Garachico a principios del siglo XVII, se encuentra a la entrada del casco de la ciudad. Se trata de un edificio sencillo de planta rectangular, tejado a cuatro aguas y un arco de cantería en su puerta principal.

Hay mucho más por visitar y conocer, pero ya eso lo dejamos para que se hospeden en Garahotel y los descubran por si mismos.

https://www.garahotel.com/es/

What to see in Garachico?

Garachico has several areas of interest such as viewpoints; monuments; religious; military and civil architecture; museums; natural spaces…

But in this publication we are going to focus on what to see in the twon, some of the most representative buildings.

We have a fantastic location, so leaving the hotel we are already surrounded by Canarian architecture.

Antiguo Convento San Francisco: Architectural complex from the beginning of 1524. Double-storey building, with two large cloisters bluilt with tea wood. The wide stone staircase that is coverded with a rich coffered ceiling of Mudejar roots stands out.

It is located between the Nuestra Señora de los Ángeles Church and the Town Hall.

Plaza de la Libertad: it was first Plaza de Santa Ana and was attached to its church. After the volcano eruption, a street was built between the two and it was transformed into a square. This happened in 1821. In 1912 renovations were made and the kiosk was built.

Casa Condes de La Gomera: Also known as the Casa de Piedra, it stands out for its stonework façade. It was built to order between the 16th and 17th centuries, although it had to be restored after the volcanic eruption of 1706.

Santa Ana Church: This main church is one of the most beautiful and rich temples in the north of Tenerife. The construction had already begun in 1532 and in 1542 it had finished. The volcanic eruption of 1706 destroyed a large part of its factory, which was later rebuilt.

Antiguo Puerto (Old Port): This construction, after the eruption of 1706, preserves the original cobbled pavement, as well as profuse basalt stone masonry. The Tensei Tenmoku sculpture located at the end of the dam stands out. Nearby are still the old warehouses of the banana packing plant with the old box for shipping the fruit.

Castillo San Miguel: The construction of this Castle dates from 1575, guarding the most important port of Tenerife. It is the most famous survivor of the volcanic eruption, but after the destruction of the port, it lost its usefulness.

Casa Marqueses Quinta Roja: Its origins date from the end of the 16th century, but it was completely affected by the volcanic eruption of 1706, and was later built respecting the original plan.

Exconvento Santo Domingo: The first Dominican friars arrived at this place around 1588. Before the middle of the 17th century, the convent had already reached its current dimensions. The convent escaped the volcanic eruption of 1706. Today it is the Hospital Residencia de Ancianos Nuestra Señora de la Concepción, the Municipal Auditorium with capacity for 300 people and the Museum of Contemporary Art, where there is a permanent exhibition.

Convento Franciscanas: This convent, inhabited by cloistered nuns of the Order of San Francisco de Asís, is located on Calle Esteban de Ponte. Its primitive construction dates from the middle of the 17th century. Today it continues to have its function.

Nuestra Señora de los Ángeles Church: The Church and the Old Convent of San Francisco de Asís is an architectural complex that had its beginnings in 1524.

Casa Ponte: This small palace was owned by the Ponte family, founder of Garachico, and dates from the 18th century. It was built on the site of an old family home destroyed after a fire, although it has now been rehabilitated as a hotel.

Excovento San Agustín: The first Dominican friars arrived in this place around 1588, settling in San Pedro de Daute where they founded a convent. Today it is a place for exhibition.

La Puerta de Tierra: This is a leafy park with exotic species that has turned this secluded corner of Garachico into one of the most picturesque in the Villa.

Casa El Molino: Place where there is a small and modest building, the only vestige of a group of flour mills, which disappeared throughout the 19th century.

San Roque Hermitage: Built by the residents of Garachico themselves at the beginning of the 17th century, it is located at the entrance to the city center. It is a simple building with a rectangular floor plan, a four-sided roof and a stonework arch at its main door.

There is much more to visit and discover, but we leave that for you to stay at Garahotel and discover it for yourself.

https://www.garahotel.com/es/

¿Cómo ir al Teide?/ How to go to Teide?

¿Cómo ir al Teide en coche?

Por el momento el acceso al Parque Nacional del Teide es libre y se puede acceder mediante el transporte público (ya hablamos de ello en otro post); o en coche (sea propio, alquilado, taxi, transporte privado…).

Hay zonas de aparcamientos, como las que se encuentran en el Centro de Visitantes, El Teleférico del Teide, Los Roques de Garcia… También en los miradores, no se deberían sino usar para una parada, pero claro, muchos de los senderos comienzan y acaban en miradores y es más peligroso andar por la carretera…

¿Cómo accedemos desde GaraHotel? bien sea desde nuestro hotel, o de otro punto de la isla, solo hay cuatro vías de acceso al Teide:

-Por La TF-21, La Orotava

-Por la TF-24, La Laguna

-Por la TF-38, Chío (Guía de Isora)

-Por la TF-21, Vilaflor

¿Nuestra recomendación?, pues sería hacerlo de la siguiente manera:

GaraHotel-La Orotava-Las Cañadas-Chío-Santiago del Teide-El Tanque-GaraHotel

Salimos desde GaraHotel y cogemos la TF-42 dirección Icod de los Vinos. En la rotonda del anillo Insular, continuamos por la TF-5 dirección Puerto de la Cruz/Santa Cruz.

Una vez llegamos a la entrada del Realejo, TF-5, continuamos por la autopista (en otras publicaciones hemos dicho autopista, sabemos que no es tal, ya que no cumple los requisitos para ello, pero todos la llamamos autopista) dirección la Orotava. Tomamos la salida 33 y cogemos la TF-211 para luego continuar por la TF-21. En todo momento tenemos las señales que nos indican El Teide, por lo que no hay perdida.

La TF-21 es la carretera que cruza Las Cañadas.

Podemos pasar el día, horas, hacer senderismo, visitar el Centro de Visitantes y así conocer la formación de las isla e islas, subir en el teleférico etc..

Ya para el regreso, cogemos la TF-38 por Chío y volvemos por la zona sur de la isla. Terminando la TF-82, accedemos a la TF-1 hasta Santiago del Teide. En la rotonda del anillo, cogemos la TF-375 y la TF-82 circulando desde Santiago del Teide hasta el Tanque.

Al terminar el Tanque, que como los casos anteriores, termina en una rotonda, podemos coger la TF-5 y bajamos a Icod; o bien la TF-82 y luego la TF-421 cogiendo la carretera de la Cruces.

Con esta opción podemos ver el malpaís de la zona de Chío y apreciar el contraste entre el norte y el sur.

¿Otra variante? Sería la misma, subir por La Orotava, pero esta volver por la TF-24 y dar a La Laguna (Ciudad Patrimonio de la Humanidad desde 1999).

Recomendamos la opción de subir por La Orotava ya que es el camino más rápido y corto, pero ya esto es a opción de cada uno, de lo que quiera hacer en el día, etc.

How to go to Teide by car?

At the momento, access to the Teide National Park is free and can be accessed by public transport (we already talket about it in another post); or by car (own one, rented, taxi, private transport…)

There are parking areas, such as those found at the Visitor Center, El Teide Cable Car, Los Roques de Garcia… Also at the viewpoints, they should only be used for a stop, but of course, many of the trails being and end up in these viewpoints and it is more dangerous to walk on the road…

How do we access from GaraHotel? either from our hotel, or from another point on the island, there are only four access roads to Teide:

GaraHotel-La Orotava-Las Cañadas-Chío-Santiago del Teide-El Tanque-GaraHotel

We leave from GaraHotel and take the TF-42 towards Icod de los Vinos. In the roundabout of the “Insular Ring”, we continue along the TF-5 towards Puerto de la Cruz/Santa Cruz.

Once we reach the entrance to Los Realejos, TF-5, we continue along the motorway (in other publications we have said motorway, we know that it is not such, since it doesn´t the requiremtns from them, but we all call it motorway) towards La Orotava. We take exit 33 and take the TF-211 to then continue on the TF-21. Along the road there are the sings that indicate El Teide, so there is no loss.

The TF-21 is the road that crosses Las Cañadas.

We can spend the day, hours, hiking, visit the Visitor Center and thus learn about the information of the island and islands, ride the cable car, etc.

For the return, we take the TF-38 through Chío and return through the southern part of the island. Then finishing it, take the TF-82 to access to the TF-1 to Santiago del Teide. At the roundabout, we take the TF-375 and the TF-82 circulating from Santiago del Teide to El Tanque.


At the end of El Tanque which, like the previous cases, ends at a roundabout, we can take the TF-5 and go down to Icod; or the TF-82 and then the TF-421 taking Las Cruces road.


With this option we can see the badlands of the Chío area and appreciate the contrast between north and south.


Another variant? It would be the same, going up through La Orotava, but this time going back through the TF-24 and going to La Laguna (World Heritage City since 1999).

We recommend the option of going up La Orotava as it is the fastest and shortest way, but t his is up to each individual, depending on what they want to do that day,etc.

Ida/ Going:

Imagen/ Image: https://www.google.es/maps/dir/Garahotel,+Calle+Esteban+de+Ponte,+Garachico/Pico+del+Teide/@28.3152805,-16.4900127,10.5z/data=!4m19!4m18!1m10!1m1!1s0xc6a62866357942f:0x20b3a3b66be330e5!2m2!1d-16.7655675!2d28.3731047!3m4!1m2!1d-16.5199487!2d28.3917403!3s0xc402ab2488d74e1:0xe6578288f656e605!1m5!1m1!1s0xc6a841219a46745:0x8da5b0b3d4897f14!2m2!1d-16.642508!2d28.2723384!3e0?hl=es

Vuelta/ Returning:

Imagen/ Image: https://www.google.es/maps/dir/Garahotel,+Calle+Esteban+de+Ponte,+Garachico/Pico+del+Teide/@28.28212,-16.4995039,10.75z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0xc6a62866357942f:0x20b3a3b66be330e5!2m2!1d-16.7655675!2d28.3731047!1m5!1m1!1s0xc6a841219a46745:0x8da5b0b3d4897f14!2m2!1d-16.642508!2d28.2723384!3e0?hl=es

GaraHotel

Información sobre el hotel

Queremos publicar alguna información sobre nuestro pequeño hotel, para así aclarar algunas dudas.

Nuestro horario de desayuno es de 08:30 a 10:15.

¿Puede desayunar gente de fuera del hotel? No, nosotros tenemos una pequeña cafetería y con el precio de la habitación damos como obsequio el desayuno. No hay una tarifa, ni unos precios establecidos para este fin.

¿Puedo desayunar fuera de esa hora establecida? No, en caso de querer un desayuno antes de esa hora, damos un picnic durante el día previo. Dada la distribución del hotel, no queremos molestarles con ruido, de ahí que se haya fijado ese horario de desayuno.

El desayuno es buffet, pero hay épocas en los que lo hacemos a la carta. No queremos ni podemos malgastar ni tirar productos, así que hay ocasiones en las que son favorables realizar un desayuno a la carta.

Si no quiero desayuno, ¿me lo descuentan del precio de la habitación? No, como comentamos el desayuno es un obsequio, no hay una cantidad establecida de lo que vale dicho desayuno.

La cafetería tiene un horario de 11:00 a 22:00

En la zona donde se sirve el desayuno es una pequeña cafetería, esta funciona solo para clientes del hotel, por si desean tomar una café, cerveza, zumo…. alguna bebida.

El horario de entrada es de 13:00 a 22:00

Siempre intentamos que nos digan la hora de entrada aproximada al hotel, para así poder ofrecer un mejor servicio; bien sea el check in dentro del horario establecido, o fuera del mismo.

¿Puedo entrar antes de la 13:00? Si la habitación ya estuviese lista, no hay problema de hacer un early check in. En caso de que no fuera así, pueden dejar las maletas en el hotel, visitar el pueblo…. y ya luego realizar la entrada a partir de la 13:00.

Si tengo el vuelo tarde, ¿puedo entrar después de las 22:00? No habría problema, pero rogamos nos contacten para saber que entrarán más tarde del tiempo establecido de check in, para así poder dar un buen servicio.

Las salidas son hasta las 11:00

Hay que dejar un margen para que se pueda limpiar la habitación, se airee, etc, de ahí que haya un margen de 2 horas entre la salida y la entrada, ya que a todos nos gusta encontrar las cosas impolutas.

¿Puedo hacer un late check out? No, debido a las pocas habitaciones que tenemos en el hotel, esto en principio no es posible, pero siempre se puede mirar la ocupación para ver si sería factible.

Si mi vuelo sale tarde y quiero pasar más tiempo en el hotel, ¿Qué puedo hacer? En este caso, la habitación se deja a las 11:00, hora límite de salida. Las maletas se pueden dejar en recepción y aprovechar en dar una vuelta por la zona, haciendo tiempo, ya que las maletas quedan en el hotel.

La entrada principal es por la Calle Esteban de Ponte

El hotel tiene su entrada principal por dicha calle. Hay una puerta pequeña que da a la Avenida, pero esta solo se utiliza como entrada y salida una vez ya estén hospedados en el hotel y tiene un horario de uso.

Para acceder a nuestra planta baja hay escaleras, ya que el hotel se encuentra un nivel más alto que dicha avenida, por lo que siempre para moverse con maletas, la zona más accesible es a través de la Esteban de Ponte, ya que se entra directo, sin obstáculos.

Hay un cartel en la puerta de la Avenida que informa donde está la entrada al hotel.

No tenemos aparcamiento en el hotel

Como todos los hoteles de la zona, no tenemos aparcamiento propio, ni dentro del establecimiento, ni en las cercanía.

El hotel es una antigua casa canaria que se rehabilitó y abrió sus puertas en 2009. Al estar englobados dentro del Patrimonio Histórico-Artístico de Garachico, hubo que cumplir ciertos parámetros para la conversación de la casa, de ahí que no exista posibilidad de tener parking.

Se puede aparcar en las calles cercanas al hotel, es gratis, y también en los parkings públicos al aire libre, gratis. Ya hicimos otra entrada en el blog informando de ello: http://hgara.com/category/parking/

No tenemos piscina

No, el hotel no tiene piscina. Para darse un baño por la zona, sin coger coche, sino saliendo directamente caminando desde el hotel, las opciones serían:

Las Piscinas naturales del Caletón: dependen del Ayuntamiento, y esta están abiertas durante unos meses al año (normalmente de junio a octubre) La entrada es gratis

La Piscina municipal: dependen del Ayuntamiento, y está abierta durante unos meses al años, al igual que las del Caletón (normalmente de junio a octubre). La entrada son 3€ por persona.

Antiguo Muelle de Garachico: Puede disfrutar del baño durante todo el año, bajo la responsabilidad de cada uno, ya que no hay socorrismo, y teniendo en cuanta que es una zona con corriente.

Charcos de los Frailes: son pequeños charcos naturales ideal para darse un baño. Al igual que el antiguo muelle, se puede bañar todo el año, pero baja su responsabilidad.

Creo que no nos dejamos información, si fuera el caso, pues hiciéramos añadiéndola.

Hotel Information


We want to publish some information about our small hotel, in order to clarify some doubts.

Our Breakast hours are from 08:30 to 10:15

Can people from outside the hotel have breakfast? No, we have a small cafeteria and with the price of the room we give breakfast as a gift. There is no fee or set prices to this purpose.

Can I have breakfast outside of that set time? No, in case of wanting a breakfast before that time, we give a picnic the day before. Given the layout of the hotel, we don´t want to disturb you with noise, which is why this breakfast time has been set.

Breakfast is buffet, but there are time when we do it á la carte. We don´t want nor can waste or throw away products, so there are time when it is favorable to have an á la carte breakfast.

If I don´t want breakfast, it is possible to deduct it from the price of the room? No, as we mentioned, breakfast is a gift, there is no established amount of what said breakfast is worth.

The cafeteria is open from 11:00a.m to 10:00p.m

In the area where breakfast is served, there is a small cafeteria, this is only for hotel guests, in case you want to have a coffee, beer, juice…a drink.


Check-in time is from 1:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.

We always try to be told the approximate time of entry to the hotel, in order to offer a better service; either check in within the established schedule, or outside of it.


Can I enter before 13:00? If the room is already ready, there is no problem to do an early check in. If this is not the case, you can leave your bags at the hotel, visit the town… and then check in after 1:00 p.m.

If I have a late flight, can I check in after 10pm? There would be no problem, but please contact us to know that you will enter later than the established check-in time, in order to provide a good service.

The check out is until 11:00a.m


You have to leave a margin so that the room can be cleaned, aired, etc., hence there is a margin of 2 hours between check-out and check-in, since we all like to find things spotless.


Can I do a late check out? No, due to the few rooms we have in the hotel, this is not possible in principle, but we can always look at the occupancy to see if it would be feasible.

If my flight is late and I want to spend more time in the hotel, what can I do? In this case, the room is left at 11:00, the latest check-out time. Luggage can be left at reception and you can also take a walk around the area, making time, since the suitcases are left at the hotel.

The main entrance is on Calle Esteban de Ponte


The hotel has its main entrance on said street. There is a small door that leads to the Avenue, but this is only used as an entrance and exit once you are staying at the hotel and it has a schedule of use.

To access our ground floor there are stairs, since the hotel is one level higher that said avenue, so always to move with suitcases, the mos accessible area is through Esteban de Ponte, since you enter directly withouth obstables.


There is a sign at the door of the avenue that tells you where the entrance to the hotel is.


We do not have parking at the hotel

Like all the hotels in the area, we don´t have our own parking, neither inside the establishment, nor nearby.

The hotel is an old Canarias house that was rehabilitated and opened its doors in 2009. Being included in the Garachico Historial-Artistica Heritage, certain parameters had to be in mind for the conservatio of the house, hence there is no possibility of having parking.

You can park in the streets near the hotel, it´s freee, and also in the public outdoor car parks, free. We have already made another entry on the blog informing about it: http://hgara.com/category/parking


There is not pool

No, there is not swimming pool at the hotel. To take a bath in the area, without taking a car, but leaving direclty on foot froom the hotel the options would de:


Caletón Natural Pools: depend on the City Council, and they are open for a few months a year (normally from June to October) Admission is free.

The Municipal Swimming Pool: depend on the City Council, and it is poen for a few months a year, as well as those of Caletón (normally from June to October). Admission is €3 per person.

Old Port of Garachico: you can enjoy the bath throughout the year, under you own responsibility, since there is not lifeguardm and taking into account that it is an area with ocean current.


Charcos de los Frailes: they are small natural pools ideal for taking a bath. Like the old pier, you can bathe all year round, but your responsibility is lowered.


I think we did not leave information, if that were the case, then we would have added it.

Garachico

Historia de Garachico

Hoy vamos a contar un poco sobre el municipio en el que nos encontramos.

Nos remontamos a 1496, fecha en la que el Adelantado Fernandez de Lugo (conquistador de la isla de Tenerife) cede amplias zonas de terreno al genovés Cristóbal de Ponte, quién se ha considerado el fundador de la Villa y Puerto.

En estos primero tiempos, instalaron molinos de azúcar, ya que la primera plantación en la isla tras la conquista fue la caña de azúcar. Gracias a esto y a que la zona contaba con un cala natural, ideal para guarecer de los temporales a los navíos que venían por comercio, hicieron que la zona creciera.

Este puerto se convirtió en el más importante de la isla durante el siglo XVI y XVII, ya que era por donde embarcaban los principales productos del norte como el comentado azúcar, el vino… Partiendo a zonas como Yucatán, Rio de Plata, Flandes Inglaterra..

Muestra de la importancia del puerto y del comercio que generaba, surgió alrededor del mismo una población cosmopolita que poseía atalayas en la casa de los más adinerados comerciantes para ver la llegada y partida de los navíos.

Era tal el crecimiento que experimentó, que fueron varias las comunidades religiosas que estaban en la zona: franciscanos (1524), dominicos (1580), agustinos (1589 se inició-1638 se fundó),monjas claras (1590) y las monjas concepcionista (1637) único que permanece habitado. Y si, la economía de un lugar se medía en base a cuantos edificios monásticos podían albergar, ya que estos eran financiados por los pudientes de la zona.

En 1706, exactamente el 5 de mayo entró en erupción el volcán Trevejo o Arenas negras, llevándose por delante parte del pueblo (casas, calles, palacios, iglesias..) y el muelle, su principal riqueza y razón de subsistencia.

La erupción terminó el 13 de junio del mismo año. Esta era la guinda del pastel, a todas las cosas por las que ya había pasado el pueblo como incendios, maremotos, inundaciones, pestes, vendavales…. Se decía que era un castigo de dios, ya que la comunidad había dejado de lado su vida religiosa y se entregaba más al ocio.

Tras lo ocurrido, entran en auge los puertos de La Orotava y el de Santa Cruz. Intentar desentullar el de Garachico era costosísimo, por lo que las autoridades se inclinaron por el de Santa Cruz, al que dirigieron todo el comercio de Garachico.

Esta crisis, junto con el auge de los productos que procedían de America (azúcar) y de Madeira (vino), hicieron que la población descendiera rápidamente. Se palió algo con la cochinilla (siglo XIX), pero no lo suficiente, ya que tampoco la producción de la misma fue larga en el tiempo, al crear los tintes artificiales.

¿Fue Garachico capital de la isla? No, nunca. La Capital de la isla fue La Laguna (1656-1833 al igual que sede de la capitanía general de canarias). En 1833 pasa a ser Santa Cruz .

Lo que si era Garachico, era capital de la comarca, hasta que en 1833 la pierde definitivamente a favor de su gran rival Icod de los Vinos. Gran rival, ya que ambos municipios siempre han tenido riña para ver quien era el más prospero y por consiguiente, el que tendría la capital de esta comarca. Comarcas que dependieron siempre de La Laguna, hasta que ya se van independizando y creando los municipios….

La subsistencia de la zona se redujo a la pesca (carente de infraestructuras) y la agricultura (desigualmente repartida), hasta que se introduce el plátano, siendo la más genuina representación de un monocultivo.

La propia historia de Garachico, muchas veces desdichada, ha sido la mejor forma de conservar este mágico lugar. Hoy en día podemos ver y disfrutar de la antigua arquitectura canaria, con casas más señoriales y otras más humildes, motivo que lo convirtió en Bien de Interés Cultural como Conjunto Histórico en 1994, siendo uno de los cascos histórico-artísticos mejor conservados y representativos del archipiélago

Una de ellas nuestro hotel, claro. www.garahotel.com

Garachico´s History

Today we are going to tell a little about the village in which we are located.

We go back to 1496, the date on wich the Adelantado Fernandez de Lugo (conqueror of the island of Tenerife) ceded large areas of land to the Genoese Cristóbal de Ponte, who has been considered the founder of the Villa and Port.

In these early times, it was installed the sugar mills, since the first plantation on the island after the conquest was the sugar cane. Thanks to this and to the fact that the area had a natural cove, ideal for sheltering the ships that came from trade, made the area grow.

This port became the most important on the island during the 16-17th centuries, since this was the main port through which the products from the north of the island were shipped, such as the aforementiones sugar, wine…. Departing for area such as Yucatan, Rio de Plata, Flanders, England…

A cosmopolitan population were born in the area. The importance of the port and the trade that was generated was so important, that the wealthiest houses had watchtowers to see the arrival and departure of ships.

Such was the growth that the town experienced, that there were several religious communities in the area: Franciscans (1524); Dominicans (1580), Augustinians (1589 began-1638 founded), Clarisas (1950) and las Concepcionistas (1637) the only one that remains inhabited. And yes, the econmy of a place was measured based on how many monastic buildigns they could have, since these were financed by the wealthy families in the area.

In 1706, exactly on May 5, the Trevejo or Arenas Negras volcano erupted, sweeping away part of the town (houses, streets, palaces, churches…) and the port, its mail wealth and reason for subsistence.

The eruption ended on June 13 of the same year. This was the icing on the cake, to all the things that the town had already gone throught such as fires, tidal waves, floods, plagues, gales… It was said tha it was a punischment from God, since the community had left aside his religiuos life and gave himself more to leisure.

After what happened, the ports of La Orotava and Santa Cruz boomed. Trying to disentangle the one from Garachico was extremely expensive, the authorities opted for the one from Santa Cruz, to which all the Garachico trade were directed.

This crisis, along with the rise of products that came from America (sugar) and Madeira (wine), caused the population to drop rapidly. Cochineal was alleviated somewhat (19th century), but not enough, since its production was not long in time either, when artificial dyes were created.

Was Garachico the capital of the island? Never. The capital of the island was La Laguna (1656-1833 as the Captaincy General of the Canary Islands). In 1833 it becomes Santa Cruz.

Garachico was the capital of the region until 1833, time it was lost in favor of its great rival Icod de los Vinos. Great rival, since both municipalities have always had a fight to see who was the most prosperous and therefore, the one that would have the capital of this region. Regions that always depended on La Laguna, until they became independent and the municipalities were created.

The subsistencia in the area was reduced to: fishing (lacking infrastruture) and agriculture (unevenly distributed), until the introduction of the banana, being the most genuine representation of a monoculture.

Garachico´s own history, often unhappy, has been the best way to preserve this magical place. Today we can see and enjoy the old Canarias architecture, with more stately houses and others more humble, a reason to declared it as a BIC (Site of Cultural Interest) as a Historic Complex in 1994, being one of the preserved and representative historical-artistic centers of the archipelago.

One of them our hotel, of course. www.garahotel.com